Charlotte High School, Eaton RESA’s career and technical education program, and the Youth Pillar of CanDo!, are pleased to announce the second annual Charlotte 5 Minutes Tops youth entrepreneurship local pitch competition! Hosted at The Hall in downtown Charlotte on February 8th, 2018, from 5:30-7:30, the event will give local youth entrepreneurs an opportunity to pitch their business ideas to real investors to secure real funding for their start ups.
How Does it Work?
Here is how a local 5 Minutes Tops event is structured:
- Local business and industry leaders who would like to participate provide a small investment and have the option of serving on a panel of judges.
- Students develop a business idea, complete with a business and marketing plan.
- On the night of the event, youth entrepreneurs get 5 minutes to pitch their ideas to the panel of judges.
- Once all of the pitches have been heard, the judges decide how to distribute the investments. All of the money provided goes directly to the youth entrepreneurs to help them with their businesses.
- The top money winner is automatically entered into the regional 5 Minutes Tops competition, which takes place in March at LCC West Campus. This also gives them the chance to be a part of LEAP’s Lansing Youth Start Up Expo at the Lansing Center!
- Additional information, as well as an informative video, can be found that the 5 Minutes Tops website: http://www.5minutestops.com
We need your help to make this wonderful opportunity a reality for our kids. Our goal is to raise between $500 and $1000 in investments, and to have between 5 and 10 entrepreneurs pitch their ideas. Again, all of the money raised goes directly into local youth businesses. We have two different opportunities for you to be involved:
For $100, you will receive the following benefits:
- Recognition as a 5 Minutes Tops sponsor on all documents associated with the Charlotte event
- Recognition as a sponsor at the event itself
- The knowledge that you helped launch or sustain a youth entrepreneur’s business
For $200, you will receive the following benefits:
- Recognition as a 5 Minutes Tops partner on all documents associated with the Charlotte event
- Recognition as a partner at the event itself
- A seat on the panel that will decide how to distribute the investments to the youth entrepreneurs
- The benefit of knowing that you helped launch or sustain a youth entrepreneur’s business
Who Do I Contact, and How Can I Invest?
Please direct all questions about the event or the program to Lucas Schrauben, career counselor at Eaton RESA (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Bill Barnes (email@example.com), principal at Charlotte High School.
If you would like to be a partner or sponsor, please submit the 5 Minute Tops Investment Form, along with a check made out to Charlotte High School – 5 Minutes Tops Competition, to:
Charlotte High School
c/o Bill Barnes, 5 Minutes Tops
378 State St
Charlotte, MI 48813
Checks are due by Wednesday, 2/7. However, please notify Lucas or Bill by Wednesday, 1/24/18 if you are interested in participating and at what level so we can include your information in our promotional materials. Thank you for your support of the second annual Charlotte local 5 Minutes Tops youth entrepreneurship program!